Williams’ Hat Trick Wins It In Overtime
MILWAUKEE, Wis. – The Northeastern men's hockey team skated to an overtime victory over Minnesota Duluth led by a hat trick from sophomore Jack Williams.
- Trailing by two after the first period, the Huskies came to life in the middle frame. Getting on the board first for Northeastern was Williams. As he collected the rebound from a shot by sophomore Hunter McDonald, Williams circled the crease for the bury.
- Scoring did not stop there for the Maine native. Williams netted his second goal of the night just before the midway point in the game. His rebounded equalizer was assisted by junior Justin Hryckowian and senior Alex Campbell.
- The Bulldogs took back the advantage with a goal at the 11:04 mark in the period.
- With 6:10 remaining in the second, the Huskies once again tied the game. With momentum, senior Gunnarwolfe Fontaine was ready and beat the Bulldog's netminder gloveside to even the game, 3-3. Once again, the Huskies' goal was assisted by Campbell and Hryckowian.
- With the score knotted at the end of regulation, the game went into overtime. Only 2:45 in, Williams broke away from Northeastern's blueline for a wrister in the slot. His overtime winner completed the hat trick for the 5-11 forward.
- A star for the Huskies in game one was freshman goaltender Cameron Whitehead. Coming up with several game-winning saves, the Quebec native finished with 33 stops in 61:45 minutes of action.
- Captain Justin Hryckowian led the team with 20 faceoff wins, while freshman Dylan Hryckowian tallied a team-high five shots.
The Huskies will play in the championship game tomorrow against the winner of the Air Force-Wisconsin matchup.